Historic Preservation Home  •  Landmarks  •  Districts  •  Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)  •  Economics  •  Preservation Links  •  Frequently Asked Questions  •  Documents

Certificate of Appropriateness (COA)

A Certificate of Appropriateness may be required for work on local historic landmarks or properties located within a local historic district. Extra consideration and care are requested of historic landmark owners and owners of properties in historic districts. The buildings have stood the test of time partly due to the care shown by the owners in maintaining and sensitively changing these residences.

A COA is not required for ordinary maintenance and repairs, but is required prior to the issuance of a permit for minor and major work involving any new and other construction, alteration, repair, demolition, relocation or other changes that may affect the exterior architectural appearance of any structure or site. The Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) will recommend approval of applications for major and minor work that will not impair the integrity of contributing structures.

The Village Zoning Ordinance identifies criteria for the HPC to use when reviewing a COA. These include examining the significance of the structure, general design guidelines, and the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Contact Planning Staff at (815) 439-2824 for additional information.

Certificate of Appropriateness Guide
Certificate of Appropriateness Guidelines
Certificate of Appropriateness Application

Certificate of Economic Hardship (COEH)

A Certificate of Economic Hardship may be authorized for alteration, construction, relocation of, or removal or demolition of a landmark or a building, structure, site, or other improvement within a designated historic district. This process can occur AFTER a Certificate of Appropriateness is denied.

A COEH may be needed when a property, in its current state, cannot be put to a reasonably beneficial use or the owner cannot obtain a reasonable economic return thereon without the proposed alteration, construction, relocation, removal, or demolition.

The HPC would review the COEH application and make a recommendation to the Village Board. The Village Board would then approve or delay the COEH for up to three months. If it delays the COEH, the HPC or other interested parties may submit plans or recommendations. If after three months, no viable alternatives are present, the Village Board shall issue the COEH for approving the proposed work.

Certificate of Economic Hardship Application