24036 (513) W. Lockport Street - Perkins Building (1892)
Originally built in 1869 for the Jordan & Hatch Implement Store, this building was largely destroyed in the 1891 fire. However, Dr. Perkins was able to save part of the original limestone rear wall and the two stone sidewalls. This narrow two-story building was poorly rebuilt after the 1891 fire. In 2005, the owner, Dr. Conklin, had the storefront rebuilt with wood retaining its original cast iron column and steel beam as well as the upper façade with four double hung windows and stone hood molds. A brick corbelled cornice is divided by three vertical brick pilasters that are capped with stone finials.
A new stone pilaster inscribed with “Conklin” refers to who is responsible for this recent restoration and the historic photos attest that the building was restored faithfully. Over the years, the building housed a meat market, a farm implement store, and a grocery store from 1940-65 (Laverne Earles Grocery & Market - 1928-1945; Donohue Grocery and Market - 1946; Gresdal’s Plainfield Market – 1949; and Park’s Brothers Market – 1959–1963 ). Today, it remains a retail establishment.