Click for more views


24104 (603) W. Lockport Street – (1848)

This wood-framed two-story building rests on a limestone foundation with clapboard siding and is one of the oldest commercial buildings in Plainfield. The current siding is not original but is in character with the original construction.  A gable front roof and a wood-framed storefront were replicated from early historic photos in 2004.  The storefront is period appropriate with a corrugated metal canopy supported by iron brackets. The upper façade includes two double hung windows with operable wood shutters.


This building and its neighbor to the east were reportedly built by Elisha James Madison Wood, circa 1848, according to Wood family records.  Historic 1868 images and the construction type supports a construction date of that era.  Wood purchased this building in 1867 and operated a general store until his death in 1888.  His widow sold the property in 1894.  James and Sophia Wraith operated a popular restaurant on-site from
1890–1908 and then Peter Molitor ran a tailor shop from 1920–1949 on-site.  The building was then home to the Plainfield Enterprise Newspaper under the editorship of C.L. Howieson in the mid-1940s and Soft Floor Corporation in 1949.

Back to Map