PLAINFIELD JAIL & FIRE DEPARTMENT
24108 (609) W. Lockport Street – Plainfield Jail & Fire Department (1899)
This lot was purchased by the Village in August 1883 for $250. The current one-story brick building was built in 1899 to serve as a new jail with room for some fire equipment. It is the Village’s only historic government building in the downtown district.
The building has an Italianante-inspired pressed metal cornice. The original opening has been retrofitted with a modern storefront retaining the original steel lintel with rosettes, now painted black. An original double hung window with a flat brick arch completes the façade treatment and both side elevations are exposed brick and built of Chicago common brick, without fenestration. By 1912, a rear addition had been added to expand the jail and directly south, across the street, was the new Village Hall and Fire Department. The Police Department was formally established in 1940 and was housed in this building until its sale by the Village in January 1976 for $21,600.