24110 W. LOCKPORT STREET
24110 (613) W. Lockport Street – (1940s)
This building occupies three lots [Lots 6, 7 & 8] that were part of the 10 lot subdivision created by George Chittenden and James Smiley in 1867. It appears to have been built in the 1940s but has undergone significant alterations. It is a one-story brick-clad structure in a T-shape with a cross-gabled roof. The exterior was recently re-clad with red brick and limestone and it does not retain any historic material or visual integrity. The building that was originally moved to this site once served as the original Baptist Church.
In March of 1869, Chittenden and Smiley sold Lot 6 to George Frey for $200. Frey converted the building into a wagon shop; building his wagons on the first floor and painting the finished wagons on the second floor. Frey retired in 1885 and sold his business to John Laydon, who ran it until 1910. That structure was demolished in 1929 for a silent movie theater that was never built.
William Keen and Philip Hoffer purchased Lots 7 and 8 in February 1872 from Chittenden and Smiley for $725 to open their blacksmith shop. In January 1893, Philip Hoffer sold his half of Lots 7 and 8 to his partner William S. Keen for $350 and in March 1906 the heirs of William S. Keen (Anson C., Florence E., Sarah L., and Theresa J. Keen) sold the two lots to Emma Laydon for $500.