WILLIAM WRIGHT HOUSE


 


24136 (701) W. Lockport Street – William Wright House (c.1849-50)

This is one of the older homes in Downtown Plainfield.   It is a gabled ell plan house designed in the Greek Revival style.   The gabled portion of the house is a two-story wood framed structure with short pediment returns. The façade has two windows on the upper floor and three at the ground level.   The side wing is two stories with short second floor ankle windows. There is an enclosed porch protruding from the ell wing that is similar in footprint to the original porch. There is a rear addition that has minimal visual impact on the overall appearance from the street. The entire structure has wood siding and the shutters and windows are modern but the overall massing and character remains. The cornice and eaves are original.


The house was likely built by William Wright, a carpenter from New York, who lived here from 1849-54. It was owned and occupied by a series of families after 1854.  It was the longtime home of Harrison Hamlin and his family circa 1900 to the 1940s.  Remodeled from an interior design studio and several apartments in the mid-1990s, the structure is often recalled as Lombardo’s, a restaurant that closed.


   Previous
Back to Map  
Next