24211 W. LOCKPORT STREET


  
Click for more views

 


24211 (708) W. Lockport Street – Residential (c.1870)

This is a mid-to-late 19th century one-story wood frame house with a front gable roof that has remained residential.  The home was built by Daniel Zimmerman, a cobbler. It is a one-story wood framed structure resting on a rusticated limestone foundation.  The front façade includes a small entry porch that likely has newer turned wood posts and railings. The entry is simple with no sidelights or transom and the windows are all tall, double hung sashes with two-over-two lights and wood storms.   Each window has a casing surround without head trim. There is a quatrefoil attic window in the front gable, similar to other houses of that vintage in town.   A historic one-story addition is at the rear and the entire structure has been re-sided with vinyl siding but it retains its overall massing and residential character.

 

The home was owned by the Zimmerman family in the 1940s and '50s.  Jesse Zimmerman was the first school bus owner/operator in Plainfield.  In the late 1950s, the garage was enlarged by Jesse’s son, Bill, who drove larger, modern school busses for decades.  There is a garage structure that has been altered with a front extension and vinyl siding but it still contributes as a secondary structure to the historic character of the district.

 


   Previous
Back to Map  
Next