24045 (522) W. Lockport Street – Lincolnway Barbershop (1901)
This one-story brick building was built in a simple commercial vernacular style with a pressed metal cornice. The storefront has been rebuilt in matching red brick and now has only a smaller display window and doorway. This alteration may date from the 1950s or '60s. The upper façade is of red face brick with protruding diamond patterns and a dentil course below the cornice. The cornice has end brackets, a dentil course, and ornamental panels matching those to the east.
Albert Worst purchased his barbering business in 1881 from David Dishman, the first African-American
businessman in Plainfield. Worst moved into this site in 1890 after moving from the north side of Lockport Street (24044; 1883–1892). After a fire destroyed shops in the center of the block, Worst rebuilt his shop in 1901 and his descendants still operate the business. To entice the Lincoln Highway Association to route the new Lincoln Highway through Plainfield, Albert Worst agreed to change the name from the Worst Barber Shop to the Lincolnway Barbershop.