JOE BOOTZ'S SALOON
24043 (520) W. Lockport Street – Joe Bootz’s Saloon (1900)
This one-story brick building was built after the 1899 fire in a simple commercial vernacular style with a pressed metal cornice. The storefront includes original cast iron columns and a beam with rosettes. It has been rebuilt in a period-appropriate manner with wood bulkheads and windows including a canvas awning. The upper façade is of red face brick with protruding diamond patterns and a dentil course below the cornice. The cornice has end brackets, a dentil course, and ornamental panels matching those to the east and west.
Joe Bootz was the local sheriff, who lived on the north side of Lockport Street for a time, and owned the saloon. After the saloon closed, it housed Ordings’ Bakery (1920s-1940s) for many years and later the Plainfield Bakery in the 1950s. It also served as Plainfield Village Pharmacy, Midwest Indoor Gardens, and Flowers by Salerno.