24039 W. LOCKPORT STREET
24039 (516) W. Lockport Street – Retail (1900)
This one-story brick building was built after the 1899 fire in a simple commercial vernacular style with a
pressed metal cornice. The storefront includes original cast iron columns and a beam with rosettes. The
display windows remain as large glazed areas but the bulkheads and transoms have been altered and infilled. However, the storefront retains its basic original character and includes a canvas awning. The upper façade is of red face brick and consists of brick headers with alternating indentations and projections making the effect look like a checkerboard. The cornice has end brackets, a dentil course, and ornamental panels.
The building housed Sonntag Brothers Harness & Bicycle Shop for much of the early 20th Century and was a series of food markets from the 1940s through the '90s including Charles Carlson’s Meat Market (1930s–1944); Donohue Grocery & Market (1945–1948); Larsen’s Grocery & Market (1948–1955), and Rock's Grocery & Meats (until 2001). It is currently an office.