SELFRIDGE MEAT MARKET
24037 (514) W. Lockport Street – Selfridge Meat Market (1900)
This one-story brick building was built after the 1899 fire in a simple commercial vernacular style with a pressed metal cornice. The storefront includes original cast iron columns, a beam with rosettes, and the display windows remain as large glazed areas but the bulkheads and transoms have been altered and infilled. However, the storefront retains its basic original character with the upper façade of red face brick and the simple cornice has fluted end brackets, corbels, and several projecting bands.
The original building tenant was the Selfridge Meat Market. In the 1940s and '50s, it was home to the Illinois Specialty Company (later Consolidated Foods), both companies manufactured Kuehmann Potato Chips. It was also Page and Dixon’s Mens Furnishings, Dixon's Clothing Store, and then Rock’s Carry-out Snack Bar in the 1970s. Richard Rock and his wife Mardel owned this building from 1967-1996. Mr. Rock served as Mayor of Plainfield from 1997-2004.