24035 W. LOCKPORT STREET
24035 (512) W. Lockport Street – Retail (c.1892)
This building survived the 1898 fire and was built in a simple commercial vernacular style. It is a one-story
brick building with a pressed metal cornice. The storefront was altered in the early 1960s with stone
bulkheads and wood piers. The display window is angled back to a recessed entry. Despite some modifications, the storefront retains its character from that era. There is also a canvas awning covering the width of the storefront. The upper façade is of yellow face brick with very shallow brick corbels under the cornice. The cornice has ornamental end brackets, corbels, and ornamental panels.
The building housed a bakery for much of the first half of the 20th Century, then it was home to Plainfield Liquor from 1948-1983 and it now houses a tavern, Uptown Tap. While there are reports of this building dating back to 1865, this façade does not date earlier than about 1890 and was probably rebuilt after a fire in 1892.