24029 W. LOCKPORT STREET
24029 (506) W. Lockport Street – (1899)
This building is a Mesker Brothers Building and was built soon after the 1898 fire in a simple commercial vernacular style. It is a one-story brick building with a pressed metal cornice and the storefront has been infilled with brick, leaving only a small window and residential style door. The molded storefront cornice is not original. The upper façade is of yellow face brick and the cornice has ornamental end brackets, corbels, and rosette ornaments. Despite the storefront alterations, the upper façade retains its essential historic character.
It served as the U.S. Post Office before the 1898 fire and remained the Post Office until at least 1912. Kelly's Beauty Shop opened around 1936 and it became Kelly's Barber Shop in 1952. It evolved into Kelly's Barber and Billiards Shop by the 1970s which moved into the former church on Illinois Street in the mid-1980s. The building was then home to the Plainfield Insurance Agency and is currently home to Wells Fargo.