PLAINFIELD STATE BANK
24023 (410) W. Lockport Street - Plainfield State Bank (1915)
This former bank building is a striking example of the International Style and the only remaining bank building along Lockport Street. It sits on a corner site and has three sections. The original bank was two stories in height and was built in 1915 at the southeast corner of Illinois and Lockport Streets and retains its overall massing. The original corner portion was covered with a brick façade in 1960 and at the same time a one-story section was added east of the original 1915 two story bank. This section was extended further east in 1978. A drive-up wing was added south of the original 1915 corner building in 1973.
The west elevation retains its original stone base, brick walls, brick pilasters, and four window openings but was painted to blend in with the 1960 addition of the building. The windows have modern aluminum frames with multiple panes of tinted glass.
The north elevation of this section is now clad in tan Roman brick dating from 1960 and overlapping the north elevation is the one-story limestone addition from 1960. This section includes a large limestone relief mural designed by Phyllis N. Busse titled "Serving the Community." The mural features abstract, low relief carvings representing the community of Plainfield. These include farming (barn and corn), a church, school, houses, commercial, and industrial buildings. To the east of the mural is a glazed wall with a granite planter along the base.
The 1960 entry used to be in this section but was moved one bay east when the 1978 addition was built. The 1978 wing mimics the one-story 1960 addition but also added a bronze-anodized aluminum fascia across the entire parapet. A modern section on the south side of the building is covered in an Exterior Insulating Finish System (EIFS) and served as the drive-up window bay. It is not compatible with the rest of the building.
The Plainfield State Bank was established in 1913 and originally housed in the Robertson Building, 24042 W. Lockport Street. A new building was built in 1915 in the Neo-Classical Style in red brick at the southeast corner of Lockport and Illinois Streets. The bank became the Plainfield National Bank in 1940 and was responsible for the 1960 expansion and modernization of the facility. That project provided for a community/civic meeting room as well as modern banking offices, a lobby, and a drive-up window. Another expansion in 1978 closely mimicked the 1960 design. The bank moved west on Lockport Street into a new and larger facility in the 2000s and the current facility is occupied by offices.