Click for more views


24026 (501) W. Lockport Street – Chittenden Building (1869)

This two-story wood-framed storefront rests on a limestone foundation with recently replaced clapboard siding and is one of Plainfield’s oldest commercial buildings.   It was built by George Chittenden in 1869 for use as a general store.  He sold the business to an employee, Alfred T. Corbin, in the 1880s.  Fred Steiner purchased the building in 1912 from Chittenden’s widow for $3,000 for use as a general store and later as a dress shop through the 1980s.   Businesses in the building included Chittenden’s General Store, A. T. Corbin’s store where A.C. Steiner was a decorator, Steiner’s Dry Goods, then A. T. Steiner’s Dress Shop which his daughter Elsbeth Steiner Overman operated for many years before closing in the early 2000s.  In recent years the building has housed a yarn store, a chiropractor, and a game shop.  It is currently home to the School of Rock.


This building as well as the two brick structures to the west were the only survivors of the December 1891 fire that swept the north side of Lockport Street. The building was gutted during a renovation in 2009 and very little of the original detailing remains inside or outside. New windows and doors were added and the back second floor was extended to meet the first floor so a private stairwell could be added to the second floor business.


The safe purchased by A. C. Steiner in the 1880s for use at his business was donated to the Plainfield Historical Society and can be viewed at the Society’s 1886 EJ&E Depot at the northeast corner of Wood Farm Road and Lockport Street on Saturday afternoons, May through October.

Back to Map