FRASER & SMILEY GROCERS


  
Click for more views

 

24030 (505) W. Lockport Street – Fraser & Smiley Grocers (1877)

This two-story brick building survived the 1891 fire.  The upper floor windows have arched brick hood molds with stone keystones inscribed with an “S"and "F” to indicate the original owners, Harvey Robert Fraser and James Smiley.  Mr. Reynolds, James Smiley’s second business partner, changed the “F” in the east keystone into an “R” after 1895.  The original cornice was removed and is now a plain parapet.  The upper floor windows have been partially filled with brick.  However, the overall historic character remains.

 

Once known as the J. C. Owens’ Drugstore, it is best known as Krebs’ Drugstore & Soda Fountain which operated from the 1940s to the 1960s.  It was modernized in 1961 with blue and white tiles and now houses Gourmet Junction, a restaurant and store that has been in operation since the 1980s. 


   Previous
Back to Map  
Next